1. What are some of the benefits for Housing Choice Voucher participation?
- Housing Assistance Payments are mailed directly to the owner or agent o the last working day of the month
- Risks of rent default are reduced because the tenant's portion of the rent is based on income.
- ADOH maintains a list that is provided to participants searching for a rental unit. Listing the unit with us increases the pool of potential tenants and may, therefore, assist in the reduction of vacancy loss.
- The owner/landlord is responsible for screening tenants for a vacant unit. This allows the owner/landlord full discretion in tenant selection.
- An owner may choose to accept or reject a Housing Choice Voucher tenant for any vacancy that may be available. It does not matter whether or not the building already contains a Housing Choice Voucher tenant.
- Annual Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections assist the owner with identifying areas requiring repair and help to maintain the overall quality of the unit.
- ADOH enforces the family obligations portion of the Housing Choice Voucher program. It is a violation of the family's responsibilities if they fail to make timely payments or damage the apartment beyond normal wear and tear.